Skip to content
APOL 220 Quiz 2 Liberty University
- The Apology of Trypho on Behalf of Christians (c.125), written by Trypho, was perhaps the first formal Christian apology written after the composition of the NT books.
- Among the Enlightenment thinkers, who thought that Individual empirical investigation and reasoned reflection, and not the pressure of an external authority or majority or an innate store of ideas received at birth, are the ultimate sources of true knowledge?
- Friedrich Schleiermacher is often called the father of modern theological liberalism.
- Who wrote the famous book entitled The City of God?
- Who created and developed the Best of All Possible Worlds theodicy?
- Anselm is credited as the originator of which classical argument for God’s existence?
- Which heretical challenge and battle against it persisted into the Middle Ages?
- Presuppositional apologetics uses positive arguments in an attempt to establish Christian theism
- Gnosticism taught specifically that there was a time when Jesus did not exist
- Tertullian is considered to be one of the earliest of the Latin church fathers and wrote Against Marcion
- One of the arguments for the deity of Christ used by Athanasius went as follows: Only God can save humanity. Jesus saves humanity. Therefore, Jesus is God.
- The Enlightenment celebrated the goodness of human nature and the value of human progress through
- Martin Luther believed that philosophy and reason must yield to the foolishness of the cross.
- Joseph Butler is sometimes referred to as “the philosopher of Anglicanism” and these three words encapsulate his response to the deists of his time: analogy, probability, and cumulative
- In his work Contra Celsus, Origen offers a point-by-point refutation against the attack that Christianity undermines the structure of society.
- In scripture, ____________ are used apologetically because they have a powerful effect.
- According to Murray, which other religious tradition is comparable to Christianity in terms of evidence that it offers as reason to believe its claims are true?
- Within Isaiah 41, one of the three practical aspects of God’s sustaining and delivering power is God’s testing of his followers.
- In the Old Testament, God’s acts of _________ in history are a defense against alternative deities.
- The Quran teaches the Bible is not an authority in light of their contradictions.
- According to the reading, _________ demonstrates that it was a sovereign and providential work of the God of Israel that expanded the church.
- The Quran says that the Gospels, the Torah, and ________ are all the revelation of God.
- Three distinct but related apologetic functionaries in the Bible are the individual person, the church, and the Holy Spirit.
- According to the reading, Paul is anti-intellectual and opposes intellectual vanity.
- According to Murray, relevance is: “something is relevant in a court of law if it is a fact that makes any issue in contention more or less likely to be true.”
- According to the reading, there is a specific universal and non-contextual system that we can plug in to find a spouse.
- Our __________ is an apologist for God and his law.
- The first eleven chapters of Genesis take a ___________ perspective.
- In scripture, another type of apologetic related to God’s providential care is God’s special sustenance and deliverance for his people.
- The content of the question is not as important as the intent of the questioner.